Born in Punjab, India in 1946 and later moved to England at the age of 17. He has been a resident of Canada since 1968, Iqbal Mahal is a well-respected, veteran, versatile broadcaster, and literary author. He has quite a few firsts to his credit; prominent among them are the following: He has quite a few firsts to his credit; prominent among them are the following:
- producing in North America musical works of Indian and Indo-Canadian artistes
- being chiefly instrumental in launching the first all-Punjabi radio show in Toronto
- introducing in North America numerous India-based singers who later became legendary figures in the music world of India.
Pleasant and affable, Iqbal Mahal has been actively promoting cultural and racial harmony in Canada, since 1972, through various organizations and his radio and television shows. Over the years, Iqbal Mahal has been involved in many fundraising events whether it was for Sick children Hospital in Toronto or William Osler Hospital in Brampton. He has set new heights in Punjabi folk songs. He is a successful broadcaster, producer of audio and videotapes, and has dedicated his life to Punjabi culture. In spite of being a well-known broadcaster in North America, Iqbal possesses a greater talent that being a friendly and a down-to-earth person. His simplicity wins everybody’s heart. In the western society, he is our link to our Punjabi roots. Through his broadcasting career and promotion of music, he closes the generation gap.
Highlights of Iqbal Mahal’s accomplishments
TELEVISION: Producer and host of T.V program, ‘Vision of Punjab’ in April 1981 at Rogers Cable T.V. and later on City T.V. and at present at Vision T.V.
MUSIC PRODUCTION: The first person to produce Indian music in Canada. Producer of 35 disks, tapes and CDs. Recorded prominent singers from India and local talent of Canada. He has recorded Jagjit and Chitra Singh, Surinder Kaur, Asa Singh Mastana, Pushpa Hans, Bhupinder Singh, Dilraj Kaur, Kavita Krishnamurty, Jagjir Zirvi, Dolly Guleria, Dr. Satinder Sartaaj and many more.
- The Third Eye
- The Khalsa; (Saint Soldier)
- Three Generations of Surinder Kaur
- My Sikh Wedding
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Iqbal Mahal has received numerous awards and honors in India and abroad for his valuable contribution to Punjabi culture, music and literature. Prominent among them are:
- Punjabi Art Center, Delhi (India)
- Professor Mohan Singh Award; – M.S. Randhawa Award as ‘Great Punjabi’
- An Award from Central Association of Punjabi Writers of N. America
- An Award from Punjabi Forum (India)
- Baba Bulle Shah Foundation International Award
- Punjabi Culture Society of Chicago
- Punjabi Manch Calgary
- Punjabi Sath Toronto
- Punjabi Sath. New Zealand
AUTHOR: Author of ‘Suraan Dey Saudagar’, a book of biographical sketches of prominent personalities of Indo Pakistani music world in Punjabi, Hindi and Shahmukhi (Urdu) & ‘Doggytail Drive’, a novel.
Promoter of live shows since 1972. Introduced famous Jagjit Singh, Chitra Singh, Gurdas Maan and Dr. Satinder Sartaaj in Canada and encouraged local singers such as Kuldeep Deepak, Asha Noor, Sukhwinder Sukhi, Liveleen, Desi Boys, Bedesha Jat and above all Harbhajan Mann and Gursewak Mann.